Thursday, June 13, 2013

Pom Pom Fever

I saw something about these somewhere and wondered... how have I gone my whole life not knowing how to make these?  I have a humongo stash of yarn... some of it from the seventies that I love... and what better way to use some of it than making Pom Poms??? Well.. maybe covering coat hangers... but that's a blog post for another day.  I looked up some videos online and picked the best one I could find and actually wound up finding a good blog to frequent in the meantime. 
 
I started making these suckers and was hooked.  I made something like fifteen during nap time one day.  Big ones... little ones... fluffy ones and short cut ones. 
 
I remember being in elementary school and once there was a fair going on inside the school.  You know, the ones where you go from classroom door to classroom door and there are different activities like a fishing game set up in the door way (did I dream this?).  But, I decided I wanted to dress up like a cheer leader to go the carnival and my Mom made me some Pom Poms to go on my shoes.  They were blue and gold which were the school colors of Goodlettsville High School where we lived but like I said was an elementary school function.  I asked Mom if she had a picture of me that day and she didn't quite recall the day like I did but I even remember getting one of those plastic bird things that you put a little water in then blow through the tail feathers and it made a kind of whistle sound.  Man I'd like to have one of those things again. 
 
Here is the video that I found.  I also found another one where they made little ones by using a fork.  I think I will make some more today.  I reckon they are great for using in gift wrap or wearing on the tip toe of your tennis shoes.  Or sew them on the back of your socks and we'll bring that fad back!   
 
 
And the blog I found is Creature Comforts Blog.  Love it!  I really like it when blogs update often.
 
Here are some that I made.
  




 
It's not easy to tell the yarn from the seventies is it?  It has a Woolworth's price tag on it.


 
You can hang them from your rear view or your Christmas tree or your hummingbird feeder. 
Whatever floats your boat!