Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Biscuit A Tasket

Last weekend I found pork tenderloin on sale at the grocery. I never buy tenderloin because I think it's a little pricey but this time I was all in. So yesterday during my daily jog I was thinking of what to make for supper and the tenderloin came to mind. I could have Shaun grill the meat while I made the sides.. inside. When I started hunting for canned biscuits in the refrigerator I came up short. So I pulled out a cookbook all about biscuits called "The Rise Of The Southern Biscuit" by Maryann Byrd that I had purchased after watching the wonderful documentary on an NPT telethon a couple of years ago. I searched through and found a quick and easy recipe. To my dismay the ingredients that I thought were staples in my kitchen were not there for me this time. I didn't have any all-purpose flour.. which I always have and I had no buttermilk... which I never have. I made my own buttermilk by using 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar to a measuring cup and filling the rest of the way to 1 cup with regular milk. You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar. Alas, I still had my flour problem. I thumbed through and found another recipe using self-rising flour. I threw them together and turned out pretty pleased with my results. It's a quick recipe in a pinch.

Mother's Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cold buttermilk
3 tablespoons of butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix flour and salt together, cut butter into flour using a pastry cutter or fork, add buttermilk and stir in slowly until dough ball forms a soft ball. Kneed dough on lightly floured surface 10 to 15 times. Roll out to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 inch cookie cutter and place on greased cookie pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

I brushed them with a little melted butter when they came out of the oven. They had a surprising lift to them and weren't dry and crumbly when we ate them.

The recipe made about 16 biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks