Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What To Do With Those Herbs?

Well... I think it's almost official... summer is over.. sniff, sniff. I am looking forward to the feeling of fall and all of the bright colors that will be presented to us. Yesterday I completed a two week long wait on drying some herbs. I had dried some mint and catnip from my friend Katety and some of the lemon herb that I had grown. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I bought that was lemon but it has gotten huge over the summer. Anyway, I dried these by attaching a twist tie to each stem and twisting it onto a coat hanger. I made sure they weren't touching each other and I hung the hangers in my laundry room. Yesterday I felt of the herbs and sure enough they were crispy so i got them down and just sort of crunched them up between my fingers, put them each into their own jars and labelled them.

I just can't wait to use the lemon herb on fish. The mint I will use in cooking but also in my herb pouches. The catnip I have already made into a little pillow for Tommy of which he kicked around the house all afternoon yesterday!

I still have sweet basil, chives and dill to do. I am wondering if you dried tomato leaves would they smell as good as they do in the garden? I think it's worth a try! Have a wonderful Tuesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks