Thursday, September 10, 2009

Have A Jog And A Smile

Yesterday while on my semi-daily walk/jog I call exercise I decided to try a breathing technique that I have used for a long time in other ways. I've not trained or been in marathons so I'm not sure if this is something that is taught but it worked for me and should for you too.

It's a simple four-count method. You breathe in deeply through your nose for four counts (which goes along with your steps), hold for four count, exhale through your mouth four count and wait four count. Then do the process over and over again.

This helped me to control my heart rate as well as gave me something to concentrate on besides how far I'd been. I didn't tire as quickly and truthfully was ready to make another lap when I'd gone as far as I normally do. I was even up for some stretch exercises when I got back to the house.

Last year for Christmas I asked for a pedometer which Shaun bought for me and I love! It tells me how many steps I've made, how far I've been, how many calories I've burned and even how long it took. Since I walk our abnormally long driveway plus some it's hard to just know how far I've gone without it. When I used to run at the park I never knew how far I'd been, I only knew how long it took which was still ok just to time myself. But for around eight dollars you can easily calculate your every step.

Exercise is important although I admit I do go through spurts of time without doing so myself. Fall is a good time of the year to get outside and walk with cooler evenings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks