Sunday, February 12, 2012

Freezer Paper Stencil

Freezer paper stencil is the coolest thing.  Well, it's the coolest thing I could come up with to craft on Saturday which was bitterly cold on the outside and warm on the inside.  I started with a bargain tank but have done this with everything from regular t-shirts to dish towels.  I found the item in which I wanted to trace and today it was feathers.  I used one guinea feather, one crow feather and one owl feather.  I placed them on my shirt to get an idea of where I wanted them then put them on to a sheet of freezer paper on the dry side, not the shiny side.  Then I traced the feathers with a pencil. 

I taped the piece of freezer paper to a cutting board and cut out the shapes using an Exacto knife.  I have also just cut out the shapes with scissors as that works just as well.  Next I took my tank top and two pieces of freezer paper, one with the stencil, to my ironing board.  With my iron set on cotton high, I placed the solid piece of freezer paper shiny side up inside the shirt and the stenciled pieced shiny side down on the front of the tank where I wanted the design to go.  Then I ironed the top piece.  The heat makes the shiny side stick to the fabric.  Make sure to stick all pieces now especially if you have a more intricate design. 

I used regular craft paint and went over my pattern several times then let it dry for an hour or so.  When it is dry, peel the freezer paper off gently to reveal your design.  Take it back to the ironing board.  Place a dry rag or piece of scrap fabric inside the shirt and another one of top.  Go over the top towel that is on top of your design several times with a hot iron to "set" the paint or sort of burn it to the fibers so it doesn't wash out easily. 

This is an easy, fantastic way to make a solid or drab shirt your very own, one-of-a-kind design.



Layout out objects of inspiration.
Use this stuff.
 Trace objects onto non-shiny side of freezer paper.
 If you are doing a harder design you have to envision what to cut out.
 Cut out stencil.
 Shiny side up on the inside, down on the outside.
 Iron on freezer paper stencil.
 Paint using craft paint. 
 Use several coats and allow to dry completely.
 Peel off freezer paper stencil.
 Heat set with scrap fabric inside tank and on top of design.
 Laurie is wearing a tank that she seems very proud of. :)
 Finished and Fabulous!
Trust me.. once you get started it's hard to stop!
 This was a different weekend when I was crafting with  my sister and niece.
 Recognize this logo anyone?
 On a tea towel.
I love my camera dish towel.

It's a lot of fun and so easy to do!  Haave Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks