Saturday, February 23, 2019

tiny flags

Good morning!  Today I am sharing some pictures of a miniature, super-easy, Americana flag that I made yesterday.  The ingredients are simple and few as is the idea.  I first thought of making a mini flag on the way home from our last four wheeling trip.  I was very inspired by simply looking out of the truck window at homes and "front door décor".  The complete aesthetic view of someone else's piece of the world can be fantastic.  What you decide to take from it is up to you... more-over what you remember.  In my case my journal was in my lap with pencil in hand.




Here are the ingredients, minus the glue, paint brushes and toothpick.  Red, Blue and buttermilk paint colors, pin, very thin wood or cardboard, a piece of drop cloth.

I cut a piece of drop cloth, un-measured, that is slightly smaller than a postage stamp.  You can measure a normal sized flag and divide it by 12 for your measurements if you need to.

You are painting both sides of the flag here.  I started with the blue on both sides.

For the stripes, since I've not perfected painting a straight line, I added paint to one edge of a small piece of balsa wood.  Sort of like a stamp.  I pressed the edge onto the flag, re-applying red paint between each stamping.


For the stars I only made small dots with the end of a toothpick.  I did blot this with a paper towel while it was still wet.  From a distance, with a trick of the eye, one will not know.

While the flag is still damp, simply pinch some waves into the fabric.  As the flag dries these will stay somewhat... enough to give the affect.

What a cutie!!

Oh yea... paint the sewing pin so it's not so shiny.

I also used my brown ink pad to dab a little nostalgia and age on.

Apply some glue to the pin and gently lay it on one end of the flag and let dry.


I do apologize for the blurriness.  I have to transfer my pics from my phone by email to myself in order to get them to you.  Blogging from my phone simply doesn't work unfortunately.  Surely I will get better at it.  If not I will revert to my old fashioned ways once again :)  

XOxo Laurie



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks