Saturday, February 5, 2022

Miniature Mannequin Tutorial

 Good afternoon, friends!!  Yesterday I was browsing the web and found a beautiful French window display that had an old mannequin with a gorgeous lace skirt on.  I stared at the picture for a few minutes and thought.. I can make that.  I dug through my stash of lace and couldn't decide what to use.  I selected some vintage tulle that I recently bought for fifty cents at my local fabric honey pot store.  

I began by making the bodices out of oven bake clay which I much prefer to the air dry clay.  While they were baking, I dug through my stashes of supplies and found spare wooden spindles and buttons for the bases.  When they were ready I got to work.  

I painted the bodices and then covered them in wood glue and white tulle.  Then glued on the top piece and bottom stand.  I aged the body tulle which also kinda covered up the yellow-ish wood glue.  

For the skirts I just cut a long piece of tulle and ran a needle with thread through the top edge, pulling until I felt the skirt was pleated enough.  I thought about making some sort of shawl or lace top but wound up liking just a necklace.  The pink mannequin isn't quite finished.  She is the smaller, four inch tall gal.  I'm not quite satisfied with new necklace feeling like it needs something else.  As it needs to be really tiny, I haven't found what I need to use yet.  It's here somewhere!

Hope you enjoy!  









Isn't that skirt gorgeous?!?!  The tulle is old and relaxed just right.  Reminds me of something from the 1950's.








That's all for now.  I wish I had a beautiful Paris shop window to put them in!

Please share on Pinterest if you have a second!
If you share anywhere else please ask permission!

XOXO ~Laurie


No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks