Thursday, May 6, 2021

Miniature Paper Rugs

 Morning Pretties!!  Need some fast and fancy, realistic rugs for your mini-home?  You've found the right solution!  Super easy, real looking rugs are just a print, wad, spray away!  Here's how I make them.


First, find your favorite rug printable images.  You can find them on Pinterest, Yahoo images... where ever.  Print them on regular copy paper... nothing special needed.  My printer is a cheap color ink jet one.


Next, cut the rug out leaving a rim of white paper all around and get to wadding.  Roll the paper between your palms.  Then using the edge of a counter top or table, pull the paper back and forth to straighten it out.  Repeat.


Repeat this four or five times... wad and straighten.  This really softens the paper.


Next I spray my rugs with a matte coating.  This keeps your colors on the paper.


To get the frayed edging on the rugs I fold, crease and lick the paper edge around the rug, one side at a time.  Then gently tear the paper where you licked it.  Pretty high tech steps here huh?!?!



It's OK if they tear a little.  This only adds to their character.  If you don't like it... print another one!


I use a tiny bit of brown paint dry brushed around the edges and on the rug itself just to make it look even more worn and tattered.


And seriously... you're done.





Not bad for just a sheet of paper huh?  




19 comments:

  1. Muy resultonas , gracias por mostrar el paso a paso, buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, genius, thank you, I'm heading for my printer right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple and so effective! And they look perfectly real. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I am the editor for American Miniaturist magazine. I would love to see this in print in an upcoming issue. If you are interested please email me at auralea@ashdown.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Auralea! I would love it so much! I just emailed you. Thanks! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci pour cette bonne idée. Je vais moi aussi l'essayer

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great result! Thank you for this-can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for all your minis they are mostly made with "stuff" we already have! I just found your blog, love it!! A rug from PAPER how neat is that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m concerned about your licking the edges after you sprayed it. Otherwise great idea and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can always spray after you tear the edges :)

      Delete
  10. Great idea for my haunted house

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. I put some podge on the top side of picture, then, while still wet, turn it over on material. Press it down and let dry. Once its dry, i gently wet the paper and gently rub paper off. Then the pic is on fabric. Cut out, frei the sides, and put podge over the whole rug, and, tadaaaaa you have a meterial rug. The just scrunch it gently in a bundle, open it and it looks real.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GE-NI-US!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks