Thursday, October 21, 2021

Miniature Vintage "Iron" Bed

 Most miniatures take a lot of patience.  This particular miniature, while it seems easy now that it's finished, took a lot of patience.  The beginning of it has been in the works in my head for months.  I wanted a vintage metal bed for my cottage.  The bedroom is an attic room and a normal sized bed is just too big and takes up the whole room.  I needed to make it.  I've tried on a few occasions to use glue, or fancy metal glue, and even once tried to get my husband to help fuse pieces together.  I felt like I was thinking too much about it.  So I let the project sit.  Until yesterday when a picture popped up on my Instagram feed and gave me the courage and the patience I needed to begin,,, again.  

For the metal head board and foot boards I used some wires left over from Chinese food take out boxes that my sister saved for me.   I used two wires for each end.  One of them the complete wire and the other I cut up into a second bar on the frame and three pieces as rungs.  

I am an avid Elmer's Wood Glue user so I got out my old faithful glue.  I don't know if it helped, but an IG mini-maker said once to sprinkle with baking soda also so I did that too.  Please see below.  Also, I didn't take a ton of pictures along the way because I truly didn't think it would work.  As Julia Child would say "I didn't have the courage of my convictions."


This picture also shows a piece of balsa wood that I wound up not using.  I instead used good old cardboard.  


Here is my piece.  Taped down, glued and powdered with baking soda.  I gave them plenty of time to dry (maybe an hour lol).  One of them wound up totally falling apart.  I knew I needed to use reinforcements... literally.


As you can see in the pic above, the wire has little feet.  I used a couple of layers of cardboard and stuck and glued the feet into the layers but not all the way through. 


I then used cross stitch floss where the metal was glued together.  I placed a dollop of glue then the end of a piece of floss and let it dry.  I then put more glue and carefully wound the string around and crisscross finally gluing the end of the string.  I let these dry and then began to paint.  So far they have held together well.



It's not perfect but that's the whole point.  I want this to look like a very old bed.  




I used brown and orange paint to make the frame look rusted and aged.  
  

I have one layer of lace trim for the dust ruffle here.


And here I have added another ruffle layer for depth and color.  And I also made a mattress this morning that I LOVE!






It's not totally complete yet.  But isn't it lovely???  The pink velvet throw needs work.  It might not stay unless I can tame it.  

If you like this bed semi-tutorial, please share to Pinterest below. 

Thanks so stopping by!!  XOXO






6 comments:

  1. I think it looks great. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have just discovered your tutorial and I love it. Just hope I can create something so convincingly aged and adorable. I also love the little book. Just wish there were some measurements to guide me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Maybe make hooks with the rungs? so you could have finials on the rungs and something to tie the floss around easier. I shop in vintage stores and you have the paint perfectly non perfect. The throw is a dilemma. I have several swatch books that I use to make Barbie accessories for my granddaughter and the chenille upholstery fabric drapes better than the silk. Who knew? Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks