Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine Sweetness

Good Day All! I truly hope everyone had a great weekend. I was able to find some much needed alone time for craft projects at home yesterday so I have a couple of things to share this week before Valentine's Day gets here. Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorites. Even when I didn't have an actual Valentine the one day set aside for love always seemed so neat. Although every day should be like Valentine's Day in my book.

Today I wish to share a recipe for a very pink cake that is perfect for the one day filled with red and pink! It's a recipe that came to me by surprise. My Grandfather's wife, Granny Martha made a special strawberry cake that we all loved. When my Grandfather was moving a couple of years ago he let me pick some of his cookbooks to take home with me. While reading a book of sweets one day I found Granny Martha's strawberry cake recipe written on a piece of paper in her handwriting tucked in between some pages. I surprised my Grandfather with it on his next birthday and have made it many times since then. It is always a crowd favorite and due to it's dark pink, fluffy and moist texture topped with pink strawberry icing with seeds popping in your teeth... crowd favorite is a well deserved name. I hope you enjoy it as much as we always have.



Strawberry Cake

1 box white cake mix
1 small box strawberry jello
2 Tablespoons flour
4 egg whites
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup chopped strawberries

In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites until light and fluffy. In another mixing bowl combine all other ingredients and stir until combined. Fold egg whites into cake mixture. Pour into greased baking dish. Place in cold oven. Set oven temperature to 275 degrees and bake for one hour. Toothpick check the cake. Sometimes it takes a little bit longer if the toothpick comes out not clean. Allow to cool before icing.

Icing

1 stick softened butter or margarine
1/2 cup drained, chopped strawberries
4-5 cups powdered sugar

Mix ingredients for icing together. The original recipe says to use only a box of powdered sugar. I have found that to get any kind of consistency this isn't enough. I use almost one whole bag of powdered sugar. I kind of estimate on how many cups here because I haven't actually counted.

Store covered cake in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks