Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Miniature Vintage Lamp Tutorial

 Hello!  These lovely little faux vintage lamps are simple to make and look stunning and real in your miniature setting or dollhouse.  Just a side note before we begin to plug my Etsy shop... I  do sell these from time to time in my shop if you don't want to go through the trouble of making your own.  


They are made from plastic paint trays from Dollar Tree that come in a set of three (I think).  Other materials include a pre-made spindle for dollhouse furniture or stairs, jewelry findings, sewing pins, paint and glue.

HA!!  Below is a real example of my skills.. lol.  Don't know what I was doing with the edit to get the red marks.  LOL

I pre-poked holes into the center of the spindle on top and bottom to make with the pin to make it a little easier to insert.


Below shows the pin stuck up through the jewelry piece into the spindle.  You will want to apply glue to fix these permanently.


For the base coat I used a drop of paint mixed with a drop of clear drying glue and a tad of water.

Paint flowers using a few colors mixed on your tiny brush and apply using swooshes or paint in a circle.  Then paint leaves and branches if you wish.


I used chains from old earrings for the light pull.  Snip a pin and put it through the piece of chain then stick the pin into the side of the spindle for the chain pull look.  Cut your chain to the proper length.



I also painted the spindles.


Lastly, you will need to cut out your lamp shade and poke a hole in the center of the lamp shade, put a pin through a smaller jewelry finding and stick (with glue) into the top of the spindle.












9 comments:

  1. I guess I’m kind of dense but are the lamp shades cut out from the little paint mix tray wells or what. I’m not sure I am getting what the shades are made from. (I also cannot paint such beautiful designs). The lamps are so cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She painted on them with multiple coats of watered down glue mixed with paint; when that dried she peeled it off the paint tray.

      Delete
    2. Hello! The shades are the little plastic paint trays. I do not remove the layers of glue.. they would never hold up. The painted flowers are basically just swirls of paint. Give it a try! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary! Yes they are made from the thin plastic paint trays from Dollar Tree. I cut them out with kitchen scissors. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I have to try and make one. Dollar Tree, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I have been looking for a way to make an old yard light shade for a little farm diorama. This is perfect. So glad this popped up on my feed! Thank you! Your things are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made a couple of these following your tutorial and absolutely love them! Thank you for sharing your brilliance

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks