Thursday, July 14, 2022

Miniature Watering Can Tutorial

 Hello Folks!  I have to admit... these tiny watering cans make me drool!  

Black Cardstock has been my go-to and mini-making craft supply of choice for a while.  I used to use a lot of balsa wood but cardstock is every bit as sturdy when pieces are glued together with wood glue as any mini craft wood.  I just love it.

My mini watering can is made completely from cardstock.  Here's how I made it.  But first here's the can we are making in it's completed yumminess!


Ok so I measured nothing.  But the main part of the can is one inch tall.


Take the long, one-inch-tall piece and curve it around your fingers.  Place a little bit of glue throughout the paper as you go so it won't unravel.


Glue the edge flap down.


Once the oval can has dried, glue it to a piece of cardstock.   When it dries, trim the excess off.


Take a piece of cardstock and curve it for the front/top of the can.  Wood glue adheres at a fairly faster pace that regular craft glue.  Place glue on the top rim only about halfway around.  See the glue in this picture?  Just hold the piece on until it adheres to the top half of the can and trim off the excess.  


For the spout, take a piece of cardstock and roll it around a toothpick.  Glue the edge down.  Cut the ends at an angle, one to fit and be glued to the can and the other for the waterspout.


Curl to soften a strip of cardstock for the handle on top.


And curve a piece in two directions for the handle.


WaaLaa!  I feel that my instructions are very vague since I don't give proper measurements!  Sorry about that!  Cardstock is very forgiving as you can just trim and cut to your heart's desire!



And this is apparently how many colors of craft paint it takes to paint three mini watering cans LOL!!!  I mix different shades of gray and silver for the gray one.  And also use browns and oranges for the rust spots.


For a little bit of texture to your can to make it look old, basically glob your paint on the can, wait just a minute and dab it with a paper towel.  Dry brush brown in the creases to create depth and shadows.  And use dark oranges and browns together for rust spots.  And black also for age spots.



And now for a gallery of loveliness!


You can find my tutorial on the Vintage Metal Lawn Chair HERE!





I hope you are able to use this tutorial to make your own watering cans!  

Did you notice the old paint brushes??  I have a tutorial on how to make them next week!  
Please stop back by and check it out.  I think you'll love them!

XOXO








6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great tutorial. I love the weathered look of the cans.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be trying your watering tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing! I thought it was metal, but it's cardstock!! Wow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s an awesome tutorial. Thanks for sharing 🥰

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks